Officer of the day duties
OOD DUTIES & PROCEEDURES – CHECKLIST 2012-13
1. The OOD should arrive at least 2 hours before the posted race time. ie for a 2pm start you should be at the Club by 12 noon. In anticipation please read carefully the SAILING INSTRUCTIONS as posted on the website & displayed in the Tower. These give guidance on courses, shortening races, conducting short course races and other VITAL information.
2. Upon arrival unlock front gate, all beach gates and clubhouse doors. Open and fasten beach gates.
3. Hoist Australian Flag on rightmost pole and Club Burgee on adjacent pole. Flags are located in the tower. See either committee or rescue boat member to unlock tower. Write your name on the whiteboard as OOD.
4.DELEGATE ASSISTANTS to carry out the following:-
a/ empty rubbish bins into wheely bin, Replace liners in emptied bins.
b/ inspect both change rooms and toilets for paper and soap. Replenish from stores located in the labelled cupboard in the kitchen.
c/ sweep concrete paths free of sand before boats start rigging.
d/ sweep rubber beach mats free of sand.
e/ check supplies of tea, coffee, cordial and biscuits. Fill chilled water container in fridge. Replenish supplies from supply cupboard. Milk may need to be purchased.
5. Switch on radio (ch72) & select LOW power. Carry out radio checks with patrol boats Dusty, Macaw & possibly Thorn.
6. Assemble binoculars and race timers and ensure correct function
7. Assemble Race Control sheets from sleeves in back of arch file on bench.
8.Duplicated sign on sheets will either be ready on the bench or will be generated by Handicapper at midday. Place one set on bench beside door to front deck together with pen/pencil.
Discuss with Handicapper as to how results should be correctly recorded on Time Sheets and correct use of Timing Clock.
9. A meeting with the Rear Commodore or Rep. & Patrol Boat Captains will be held at 12.30 to discuss courses ,safety issues, course shortening and any other matters.
10. Patrol boats should be on the water 1 hour prior to race and course set 30 minutes before the race assuming there is consistent wind. Patrol boats will advise tower if determined courses need changing.
11. A BRIEFING will be held at 1pm to declare courses and any other matters. Remind sailors to Sign On correctly.
12. Supervise and monitor race from tower. If intending to leave tower at any time please advise the patrol boats and again on your return. Fill out race control sheets.
All boats must be accounted for. Follow these procedures:-
a/ when all boats have left shore, delegate an assistant to highlight on duplicate sign on sheets all those that have signed on, and photocopy the additional entry sheet. Original sign on sheets can then remain in place.
b/ the above gives the OOD an accurate number of boats on water. Extra boats not signed on may be able to be identified and monitored. Any notes re a particular sailor can be entered on these sheets eg needed assistance, retired, returned to shore early, disqualified etc.
c/ Race results ie elapsed times will be recorded on the Time/Finishing sheets with times in chronological order irrespective of Division if there is a common start. The Handicapper of the day will have discussed this previously.
d/ DNFs or DSQs can be added to the Time/Finishing sheet from the duplicated sign on sheets.
e/ After the race, all sail numbers on Time Sheets should be correlated with competitors on Sign On sheets to pick up any discrepancies. Any temporary sail number previously advised can be accommodated at this time.
Following the above allows all boats to be accounted for at the end of racing.
13. Remind sailors to Sign Off before cut off time of 20 mins after last boat reaches shore.
14. OOD collects Sign On sheets at cut off time and determines any DSQs from failures to Sign On/Sign Off correctly.
15. OOD remains in tower while Scorer enters results to answer any queries that may arise.
16. Turn off radio & PA system. Store binoculars and timers. Close tower windows. Lower and store flags. Complete and file Race Control sheets.
17. Ensure kitchen is clean and tidy, remove rubbish to wheely bin and place wheely bin outside main gate for collection. If last to leave close and lock all gates and switch off lights.